The SOM Dean's Office provides a limited amount of secure data storage for all SOM departments. This data is backed up nightly and secured using folder permissions. When logging onto a SOMTech-supported Windows computer, users will be given a T: drive (Share drive) which houses department-shared data and a U: drive (Home drive) which is data that is not shared with other users.
If for some reason, on a SOM-supported Windows computer, the SOM Shares do not map automatically when you login - use the instructions below to manually map the drives.
If you are working from a personal computer - contact SOMTech and we can investigate configuring remote access to a SOM computer to ensure data security.
For Windows 10 PCs, please follow these steps to establish a connection:
- Click the Start button.
- Begin typing This PC and wait for the results
(NOTE: If manually mapping on a VCU Health computer - it may rename This PC to match your VCU Health username, look for the icon on your desktop instead)
- Within This PC, select the Computer tab and then choose Map network drive from the toolbar. This will open the Map Network Drive window.
- Select an unused drive letter from the Drive: dropdown menu.
Enter the following folder in the Folder field: \\rams.adp.vcu.edu\som\
Check the box to Connect using different credentials.
Click the Finish button.
- When prompted for your login credentials, enter your eID and eID password.
(if you're on a VCU Health computer, then you will likely need to enter your eID as such: RAMS\<eIDHere>
- After submitting your credentials, a drive which contains both department share folders and your home folder will be mapped.
For Macs, please follow these steps to establish a connection:
- Open Finder.
- Within the top menu bar, click on the Go dropdown.
- From the Go menu, select Connect to Server.... (or press Cmd + K)
- In the Server Address field, enter the following paths, substituting
DEPT with the department name listed in the list below and
eID with your eID.
Click the plus sign (+) after entering each address to save them to the Favorite Servers section.
- Highlight the server that you want to connect to and click the Connect button.
- When prompted for your login credentials, enter your eID and eID password (In certain circumstances, you may need to precede your eID with RAMS\, like RAMS\eID).
- You should now see shortcuts to the file shares on the desktop.
Department Folder Names
Use the department/division folder names below when manually connecting to the file shares from a Mac.
- Addiction Psych
- Anatomy Pictures
- Deans Office
- Emergency Medicine
- Health Disparities
- Health Innovation
- Health Behavior and Policy
- IM Administration
- IM Cardiology
- IM Endocrinology
- IM Family Medicine
- IM Gastroenterology
- IM General Medicine
- IM Geriatrics
- IM Hematology Oncology
- IM Hospital Medicine
- IM HIV AIDS Center
- IM Infectious Diseases
- IM Nephrology
- IM Neurology
- IM OEA
- IM Psychiatry
- IM Pulmonary
- IM Quality Health
- IM RAI
- Microbiology and Immunology
- Parkinson Clinic
- Physiology and Biophysics
SBH HIPAA Social and Behavioral Health
- Technology Services
- Womens Health Institute